24 May 2011

And Justice For All...

For the past four months, I have been studying the book of Isaiah with some pretty cool women. I think my initial expectations were that I would learn about more history of the Bible and even some prophecy. Quite possibly making me the biggest geek, but excited nonetheless. I would later learn that God had much more planned for me than a history lesson.

Lucky for you, I am not going to give a thorough analysis of this 63 chapter book! In all honesty, I think the first and last chapters sum up most, if not the whole book. But that can left for a future debate. The verse that struck a cord with me was indeed from the first chapter:

"...learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause." Isaiah 1:17

I was spurred to want to put my faith in action, more than I had before. But what? I live in a small town, so I was not that familiar with the opportunities available to reach out to those in need. My first thoughts were I needed to find a shelter in town to give of my time and possibly money. Something. Anything. I guess I didn't fully understand the verse when I read it the first couple times. But God wasn't just saying to give money to the homeless or go work at a food shelter. No, the message was very clear: seek to also provide justice for those who are not able to do it themselves. Plead the widow's cause...
   
I do not think it was by mistake that I was made aware of the A21 Campaign. For those not familiar, the A21 campaign is comprised of individuals, organizations, and government officials who are committed to abolishing injustice in the 21st century.


Yes, slavery still exists. 


But not how some people view or think of slavery today: Something that happened in the 1700's to several minority groups. The basic message being that it is history. Not something effecting people in a big way in modern times. Sadly this is untrue.

Millions of people (mostly women and children) are exploited everyday. They have no voice to speak of the injustices brought against them. They are forced into a life of exploitation beyond imagination (i.e. sex trade, child labor). Many who try to escape this life or stand up for themselves face loosing their lives. According to the A21campaign, an estimated 27 million people are enslaved on the earth today.  

My typical reaction when learning about a cause or issue is to jump in feet first. Meaning, I get excited and want to act before knowing much about the subject matter. This time I felt a need to pump the brakes. A21 recently had a 21-day challenge to encourage others to help with the effort to abolish injustice. I chose to educate myself. I really wanted to take time to understand, as best I could, what modern day slavery really consisted of. Some of the things that I have learned thus far have truly broken my heart. At the same time, I am encouraged to know of those who have been rescued. They have been given another chance at a life. I feel like I can't put something like this behind me BECAUSE now I know. 

Reading this, you might think that I now worked for the A21 campaign. Not at all. I am still happily patching up college athletes on a daily basis as an athletic trainer. It is just great to know of an organization that has no personal agendas when it comes to helping others. They are a great resource to many. Allowing people from varying backgrounds to come together for something bigger than themselves. I fully support their efforts to end modern day slavery.        

A must read: 'The Road of Lost Innocence' by Somaly Mam. This book really gave me a raw picture of what human trafficking (modern day slavery) truly involves. It is a true story of Mam, who was sold into sexual slavery by her grandfather at twelve years-old.

"Now I understand that Grandfather owed that Chinese merchant money and sold my virginity to pay his debt." (Mam)

I challenge you to read this book. It is not for the faint at heart, but in a effort to not sound cheesy, it WILL change your life.

If you do read it, let me know what you think and if/how you too were moved to respond. I'm encouraged about what will come of spreading this message. Though it is a message filled with pain, making it public knowledge gives those without voices a chance. There is hope.

"Now that I have seen, I am responsible. Faith without deeds is dead." Brooke Fraser (Albertine)

2 comments:

amanda said...

I loved reading your thoughts Jenade! I often think of my foster daughter and all the other girls in the foster system and think that if people don't stand in the gap for them, they could become the next victims of sex trafficking.

Jenade said...

Thanks Amanda! Well said! We have to stand in the gap...