02 June 2011

Christians Gone Wild

By now, you have probably heard about the woe's of Jim Tressel (recently the former head coach of Ohio State University). And if you don't know, you probably don't care about sports, or at least sports in the mid-west. Tressel just recently lost his cushy head coaching position after it was found out that he had clearly lied to the NCAA about knowing of certain violations in which his athletes had been involved in. This of course is a big deal in the world of college athletics. For us folks in the mid-west, this is a HUGE deal.

Why? Here's a little background...

I was born and raised in the great lake state of Michigan. I will be forever proud that I can show you where I live just by holding up the palm of my hand and pointing. Who else can do that? There are too many things to love about this state. But I think the one thing that makes Michigan stand out is the multiple number of sport rivalries people of this state involve themselves in. I figure when it snows for 5-6 months of the year, people need sports to distract them from the lack of natural vitamin D production. Hands down the most well known rivalry exists between Michigan vs Ohio State. I grew up loving all sport teams from the University of Michigan. Blue through and through! Anything Ohio State is considered blasphemous. Seriously, there are stories where people from both states travel to the other and will not stop for gas so to not contribute financially to the state. Quite possibly a myth, but who knows for sure.    
So, then comes the story that Jim Tressel is out a job at OSU for breaking some serious rules. I'm pretty sure the celebrations in Ann Arbor, MI weren't only because of people getting the day off of work for Memorial day. I admit my first thoughts were of a celebratory manner. I was sure to tread light since I have several friends who love OSU. What an opportunity to rub this in their faces! But I also remembered that Tressel is very much known for his strong Christian faith. I felt sadness for him. Being a fellow Christian, it is never entertaining to see another Christian stumble. I don't know him personally, but he seems to be a genuine guy who messed up. Being a Christian myself, this caused me to pause and ponder some things. What’s a person to do in this situation?

In kind of a weird way, maybe it is a good thing that this happened. Not that anyone should be openly ridiculed or celebrated for their failure in judgment. Everyone makes mistakes or has made a poor decision that they knew could affect others. I think that it is times like this that we are given the opportunity to admit our wrongs and grow from them. But first must come forgiveness. Do people who blatantly break rules or laws deserve forgiveness? Jesus thought so. But there is a catch...

It is recorded in the book of Luke that a woman who was found to have committed adultery was brought to Jesus and asked if she deserved the penalty of the law, death by stoning. His response: 
"...If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her... At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” “No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you,"Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin." (John 8:7, 9-11)
I think that it is obvious that Jesus thought that it was important for those who came to condemn, to take a look at their own lives/hearts when bringing judgment upon another. Point made. But I think the part people forget or fail to bring attention to is the woman who was forgiven of her mistake. The catch --> he desired for the woman to turn away from the thing that put her in the position to be judged. To choose a better way. By choosing not to remain in her sin, this was admitting that her previous actions were wrong. Therefore, he showed her grace – unmerited favor. This is something that he not only desired to give to this woman, but to all who ask.

I hope this is what people can learn from this situation. That we should not just point and judge one another, but that we would admit our mistakes and turn from them. Choosing a better way. I'm praying that Tressel is able to grow and learn from this situation. That he would choose to receive God’s grace though the media and society may never show it to him.    

No comments: