The summer months have been a bit of a whirlwind. I have recently traveled to Shenzhen, China, with the USA women's water polo 'B' team. They and hundreds of other athletes from around the world are now arriving in China to compete at these world championships. Kind of like a mini Olympics. Our team arrived yesterday at 0530am, after a bumpy ride over the pacific. The girls and myself are slowly getting used to the time change. We trained in California for 3 days before coming out to China. It was a good time getting to know the team and for them learning to play together. Just as I was adjusting to CA time, we flew to China. All I want to do is eat and sleep. But how could I waste the day in such a special place?
We had our second training today since arriving. The team is really starting to gel together. Afterward, we went as a team to the "Musical Decompression Room," which is an area in the athlete village where athletes can go to bang on drums or play other instruments in order to help de-stress. I wish this existed everywhere!! All to say, it was a blast! Everyone got a turn to share a beat with the group and then everyone would join in with them. I love team bonding! Then it was off to eat lunch. Of course there would be a mini McDonald's located in the cafeteria. Not to mention, team USA provided all teams with $80 worth of McDonald's cash. So much for my cheeseburger fast.
The organizers of team USA have been very generous towards the teams. They have provided extra gear (t-shirts, shoes, sandals, headphones, shorts, etc) to all the USA teams. I was already over weight coming here. Not sure how I 'm going to get everything back home. I am hoping to post pictures, but I'm not sure that it will be possible, but I will try!! I feel more than blessed to be apart of this experience. Hoping to meet several athletes and support staff as we join in togehter with all the festivities. !

1 comment:
YAY!! How fun!! I'm so excited you can blog! Have fun out there Barns!
Post a Comment