26 December 2011

Learning to Bake

So I attempted to make my first loaves of bread this Christmas. I have to say it was not as scary as some may think. I enjoy cooking for the most part, but I think sometimes thinking of cooking or baking something that takes over an hour doesn't always make me jump up. But the fact to getting to share my creations with friends and family.

The evening of baking began with a zip lock bag full of bread starter for Friendship Amish Bread. My friend made some of this bread for me last year. Hands down the best dessert-like bread I have ever had! So I called her up the other day to get the recipe only to learn that you need the special bag of "starter" to even make it. Thankfully she had an extra bag to share.





So as much fun as I had making the bread and that evening, a cake earlier in the day, and white chicken chili Christmas morning, I couldn't help but take a step back and ask, "Who am I?" I mean, I have liked cooking since I was younger. I started out with egg sandwiches. I even had a line cook job when I was in high school at Big Boy. But now that I am a bit older and am busy with work and traveling, I have found it easier over the years to just pick something up quick and be done. I have invested greatly in the  McDonald's Corp. But now in my 30's, I feel the all of a sudden need to cook more. Is this something that happens when you get older? Or maybe the fact that I have many married friends with kiddos who whip out awesome homemade meals on a consistent bases. They are the ones who I steal these great meal ideas from. 

After spending some time with some of my aunt's this Christmas, I realize that they have never made anything that I didn't like. These women can COOK! I have always known this, but being on my cooking/baking kick, I realize more and more that I need to learn from these master chefs. So I was thinking that I should start making a list of my favorite recipe of theirs and master it so that I can always have a part of them with me. Winning!  

So my thought is this, if you are single and eat out more than you probably should, make a friend (possibly with kiddos) who likes to cook and/or hangout with a relative who is a rock star in the kitchen and you just might just become the next Julia Child. 

Feel free to shoot a recipe my way. I'm up for trying whatever! Next adventure: Pumpkin bread.  


Finished Product = YUM!

No comments: