15 January 2012

A Life Worth Living

I was speaking with someone the other day about a talk I had just heard from Francis Chan early this month. He is an author and used to be a pastor at a church in California, but recently he has felt lead to serve God in other ways outside the church. For the last two years, he has been one of the main speakers at Passion, which is a non-denomiatioanl ministry geared building up and encouraging college students in their faith. I couldn't tell you everything that he touched on during his message last year, but one question that he asked has kept me stirred up most of the year;

"Are you living your life worthy of the gospel?" 

I had to take a step back and reflect on this question for a minute. Is that my life? This question was based off a passage written by Paul in Philippians 1:18-22 and  27-30. From it we learn several things about a person living their life in line with the gospel of Jesus:


  • They believe in the gospel, follow the laws based on the gospel, and lean on gospel promises. 
  • They make every effort (live and die for) to honor and make Christ known through their lives.
  • They rejoice in making Christ known around them.
  • They stand firm in their faith in the gospel themselves and with other Christian believers (one mind and spirit).
  • Are not easily shaken by things others opposed to their faith say or do to them.
  • They embrace the conflict and suffering in their lives for the sake of Christ. 

Reading this list for the first time, I was like 'Whoa!' Evaluating my relationship with Jesus, I could say that some of those things were true of me, but not all. I am proud to stand for Christ and bring honor to His name, but can I honestly say I made EVERY effort to live or die to make Christ known? For myself, I did do some of these things. And maybe sometimes only when it was convenient for me. Or other times I did have this mind set, but then I was easily distracted by the things going on in my life. I was easily caught up in doing so many other things, living my life worthy of the gospel fell to a quick second or even last place.


I had heard about Chan's book "Crazy Love," which talks about this same idea and topic. God's amazing crazy love for us and what our lives would look like in full awe, fear, and reverence, toward this God who loves us enough to send His Son to die on a cross to accept the penalty for me breaking His commands. A God we say we love. So I bought it, but it like other books, it got lost on my book shelf for the past year. But this question stuck with me and wouldn't go away, "Are you living your life worthy of the gospel?" Did my life reflect the true joy and thankfulness toward a creator who loved me beyond measure? I felt compelled to have my life truly reflect what God desires of those who follow Him. All of me. And not just out of convenience.


So I started reading more of my bible, sometimes feverishly. I felt compelled to drop to my knees when in prayer or singing out to God. At other times wondering why people didn't get excited about really praising God when worshiping at church. Did they want to shout out or clap their hands but felt shy or that others would think that they were weird or uncool for doing so? I know I have felt this way before. I have sometimes wondered if people would think I was too over the top with praising God or that maybe I was putting on a show. All I know are lies I believed for too long. It is ok for us to be jumping up and down when we are singing or crying out to God. Whatever we feel, God gives us the freedom to express in whatever way our love for Him. Blessed are the uncool...


If you are wondering if I ever picked up that book to read it finally, the answer is YES! And it is blowing my mind like I knew it would.So that question that haunted me for over a year now will be with me longer. Whatever it takes to motivate me toward living a life worth living. Outside any books in the bible, I feel like it is already the best book I have read this year. And yes, I know it is still January. It has already been that good. I will take time to reflect my thoughts on it here. But I would say why wait to read my thoughts. You should honestly just go and buy it and start reading it before you get anywhere close to your bookshelf at home.


The video below is of Chan speaking on some of the things I have touched on here. It is 15min long, yet worth the time to listen to fully. And then take a little time yourself to stop and ask yourself, "Do I believe in an creator of all things and people? If no, what is it that holding me back from believing in an all loving God who desires to show great love to all? If yes, am I living worthy of the calling He has placed on my life?   




No comments: