24 April 2011

God's Challenge

I was recently invited a week ago to attend a prayer walk in downtown Detroit. I was excited about sharing in this opportunity with my friends. But then the report of rain all day came. Not just that, but cold too. I'm not gonna lie, my first thoughts then were, "I think we should stay home." But I glad that we didn't. It was hands down the highlight of my year so far! Why? For one God was present. Do I need to go on? It was just amazing to come together with other Christians (about 20,000 that is!!) and pause in the middle of our busy lives to praise the name of God. But it didn't end there. We then walked almost 2 miles Adoring God, Confessing our sins, speaking our Thanks towards Him, and sending our Supplications (petitions) to Him (ACTS). It was powerful to see many people from so many different walks of life come to this event. Different races, cultures, and ages. Some stopped along the walk route to pray. My heart was filled with joy as I observed parents and their children praying on the side of the road. Another time of joy was when I was singing "Shout to the Lord" by myself. A random girl who was walking beside me joined in with. One other highlight was hearing an older woman praying out loud, continually praising God, asking Him to rebuild this city. Wow! My thought was, "Why doesn't this stuff happen all the time?"  When else in downtown Detroit are a mob of people so kind toward one another?? I included a video just below that gives a glimpse of the day.

At the closing of the event, the pastor leading said this: "Let this not end here. Let this work that began here continue through us as we actively serve the community." I felt challenged. Challenged to step up and put my faith in action. Not just singing some songs and talking about how awesome God is, but to share the love of Christ to others. Allowing God to work IN and THROUGH me. I don't know what this looks like right now, but I desire to look for every opportunity that God might use me in to show His love to others. How about you? Are you allowing God to affect your life in this way?


"He [God] says: "It is too light a thing that you should be my servant ... I will make you as a light for the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth." Isaiah 49:6 

I am encouraged and I hope that you are too. My prayer is that we would stop acting as Christians and actually BE Christ followers! Are you up to the challenge? If so, let's move!!!
     





I had to include the video below. It was during this song that the clouds began to part (picture on right). I remember thanking God for being present there with all of us and allowing the sun to shine on us as we sung how great He is! It wouldn't have mattered if the rain was falling, because God was there. Enjoy!



1 comment:

Luana said...

It brought tears to my eyes reading and watching these incredible videos! Thanks for posting Barns! Love you!