 |
| Head coach Matt Anderson |
| |
|
After a crazy busy 2 months of indoor track, spring break '11 dropped down on us. Prefect timing too! I tool most of the time to rest and catch up on random tasks. Very much needed. I also got to snowboard a little with an old friend. But I would say the highlight would be my trip to Ann Arbor (or A2). They hosted a tournament from the east coast. The east coast is not too famous for its water polo. The caliber of play/competition is a bit inferior to the west. This most likely is due to more opportunities that are presented in along the west coast. And with our snow and cold, not too many people desire to come play a water sport here. But the University of Michigan water polo team is setting the bar high by shooting for their 4th consecutive Eastern Championship this year. This is their ticket to the national championships!
For those not familiar with water polo, the best way to describe it would be soccer in water. But, you use your hands. It is pretty intense under the water. An occasional elbow or kick into the body. Very hands on. Constant swimming and treading water for long periods of time. Playing takes place indoors or out. If outside, it could be blazing hot or raining. I love basketball, but you never have these kind of conditions.
I think why I feel in love with the sport, other than working with a great team and staff, is that it is a tough sport to play that gets little attention. And there is great respect between teams and coaches although the competition is intense. This obsession lead to working with the USA Jr. National team last August. I am hoping to go on another trip with USA water polo again soon. I'll keep you in the know. If you want to catch some polo action, U of M will be playing Indiana on March 26th on Big Ten Network, 2pm. Hail to the Victors!!
 |
| Getting ready to start |
 |
| Ryan the media guy and friend doing his thang |
 |
| With the seniors. Love these ladies! |
 |
| The officials wear all white in games. Interesting... |
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
| With the USA Jr. National Team at the UANA Games in Miami |
No comments:
Post a Comment