15 July 2011

Out of the Closet



So it is officially over. The Harry Potter saga that is. I actually just finished watching the last film, 'The Deathly Hallows: Part 2." It was amazing of course! I caught myself clapping at the end of the film along with my fellow Harry Potter fans. I quickly realized that even though there are two parts to this movie, the makers of the film still had to condense things a bit. Dang it! Am I the only movie goer who always wants more of the story? Why must it end??!! I guess if it never ended, one would not have to return to reality. I'm pretty sure most Christians are happy that this trip down sorcery lane has finally come to an end. As for me, I'm ready for more!

There has been an uproar about this book series since it all began in 1997. I don't think I need to go into details about all this. Basically, witchcraft and Christians mix like oil and water. When I finished reading the first book, for whatever reason, I didn't take the same negative stance as some other Christians did. Because to me I was excited to be able to read a book that I was able to "play" in my mind just from the written words. It excited my imagination, something I don't kids experience as much anymore. Not to mention, I had come across Christian authors who had dissected the books themselves and uncovered several Christian themes. Not sure those views were really ever put into the spotlight. Why not? Maybe because some Christians felt they could not be excited about or promote anything "Harry Potter." At least that is how I felt.


I was a "semi-closet" Harry Potter fan. 1) I was an adult reading a kids book. 2) I was a Christian.  I felt firm in my faith in God, that was not an issue. But I also felt that there was nothing wrong with liking a fictional based story. It didn't see that it taught or promoted witch craft. To me it was just a story about a boy who was learning things about himself that he had never known before and finding his way in the world he lived in. Isn't that most people's current realities?

13 years later, it seems not like such a big deal anymore. But I actually hope that it becomes a big deal again. That Christians would rally yet again, but now in a positive manner toward the series. A positive manner?? Seriously? Yes, because now that the final book and film have finished, it has been revealed that the entire series actually was based on Christian themes. Rowling has stated that this story speaks of life and death; good verses evil. She has admitted to wrestling with her faith and belief in life after death. J.K. Rowling Interview This personal struggle has found its way into the book series. I appreciate  and respect that she put herself out there to basically say, hey, I don't know what I believe about the afterlife. But it is something I think about and ponder a lot and hope to find an answer to someday. Hopefully this series gets people to do the same and start asking questions about life and death.  Why are we here? What is my purpose in life? Is there an afterlife?

So no longer a "closet" Harry Potter fan, I hope you get to take a chance to read up on these books if you haven't already. Beware: you might find the kid in you again and start playing quidditch on a lawn somewhere. But in the words of Levar Burton, "But you don't have to take my word for it..."

No comments: